Orthopedics is focused on the diagnosis and repair of injuries involving bones, joints, and ligaments.The joints of cats and dogs can easily develop problems, either through chronic degenerative diseases or as the result of a sudden injury.
Double Oak Mountain Animal Clinic is able to diagnose and treat many orthopedic problems such as fractures and ligament tears. Some common problems include:
- Cranial cruciate ligament tear – stabilizes the knee joint and allows for proper joint movement.
- Patellar luxation – the patella (knee-cap) dislocates or moves out of its normal location.
- Elbow dysplasia – abnormal development of the elbow joint that results in lameness and discomfort.
- Hip dysplasia – an abnormal development of the ball-in-socket structure of the hip joint
- Osteoarthritis – a chronic joint condition that includes deterioration of the cartilage, bone, and surrounding tissues
- Bone fractures
Treatment may include a combination of medicine, surgery, or physical rehabilitation. Pain management is also highly important to our staff, with the combination of injectable, local, and oral pain medications we plan to make sure your pet endures little to no pain.
Treatments include applying splints, screws, and other external fixators. Surgical repair of damaged or strained cruciate ligaments and tendons; hip surgery and major reconstructive procedures by board-certified orthopedic specialists. Costs and treatments will vary depending on the conditions of your pet. Please give us a call at (205) 991-5446 if you have any more questions or would like to make an appointment.